As one of the most innovative countries in the world, it is no surprise that Japan is an attractive and appealing destination for global citizens.
Whether individuals are looking to work, study, or visit on a more short term basis, Japan is a country that is filled with opportunities to fulfil personal ambitions and enjoy a new culture and way of life.
However, before you relocate one of the most important things to understand is how you will access healthcare in your new home country.
Healthcare in Japan is delivered via a universal healthcare system. All Japanese citizens and residents, including expats with a visa lasting for three months or longer, are required to have a health insurance plan by law. This is often provided by your employer or there is also a national health insurance programme which you can join.
Under the health care system in Japan, most patients pay for 30% of the medical costs, and the government pays the remaining 70%. Hospitals are forbidden from operating for profit, so a private healthcare system does not exist in the same way as it does in other countries. However a private health insurance sector still exists, and many Japanese citizens choose to take out private cover in order to cover any costs that the public healthcare system doesn’t.
If you are working and living in Japan and have the legally required health insurance, then you will be entitled to treatment at any medical facility or hospital in Japan.
While you will be entitled to use the public healthcare system, you can complement this by taking out your own private health insurance. This will help to eliminate your medical expenses completely and will also be useful should you need to seek treatment abroad, either while travelling or when returning to your home country.
Our health insurance plans start from as little as USD 26 per month for our WorldCare Essential Plan, which will cover you for any In-Patient and Day-Patient care you require while living in Japan, including major surgeries and emergencies. This plan is a great choice if you don’t expect to need frequent medical care but want reassurance you are covered should the worst happen.
Alternatively if you want cover for day to day medical expenses including GP visits, physiotherapy and dental, then you can opt for one of our more comprehensive plans. For those on a tight budget we also offer our more affordable SimpleCare plan. All our plans also come with medical evacuation and repatriation as standard.
Join our family of Now Health International members and enquire about one of our market leading international health insurance plans today.
“I am so grateful to the Now Health Team for everything they did for me and my family. My rare condition was completely unexpected and it was distressing to discover this while I was pregnant. However from the initial diagnosis all the way through to my kidney transplant, the team were nothing but supportive and ensured I could access the best care when I needed it most. Having the reassurance that my mother’s transplant donor costs would be covered was also a real relief. Thank you Now Health!”